NEWS‎ > ‎

BSPD Proposed Budget for 2018/19

posted Mar 12, 2018, 8:51 AM by Kathy Carr
It was a small crowd sitting in the Library at Carberry Collegiate on Tuesday, February 27, waiting to hear what the budget would look like that Beautiful Plains School Division would be proposing for the 2018/19 school year. The meeting, which was completed in under an hour, had BPSD Superin­tend­ent Jason Young and Sec­retary-Treasurer Shan­­­non Bayes walk the group through the budget for 2018/19 and how they came up with it.
When the provincial government announced, at the beginning of Feb­ruary, that they would be investing $1.323 billion into the public school divisions, which was an increase of $6.6 million or 0.5 percent. Education and Training Minister Ian Wishart said “We continue to provide significant funding to give students the best education possible while we carefully steer Mani­toba back onto a fiscal res­ponsible track.” 
Also for the 2018-19 school year, the school divisions were directed by Minister Wishart to limit any increases on their local education property tax to two percent. This is to go along with the Public Services Sus­tainability Act wage freeze (this is a wage freeze for the first two years, then there is a 0.75% increase for year three and a 1% increase for year four) which will alleviate some pressure that the divisions might feel with some of the expenditures. The government also announced that there will be an Adminis­tration Cap reduction of 15% (which BPSD is under at 3%) and that the Tax Incentive Grant will be eliminated over the next six years. 
The President of the Manitoba Teachers’s Society did not have anything positive to say about the funding announ­ce­ment. MTS President Norm Gould said  “This is the lowest funding in decades and sits at less than a third of the rate of inflation.”
With all this in mind, Beautiful Plains School Division took the $10,886,257 they re­ceived from the government (which is based on enrolment numbers and a 1.9 % increase over last year) and started working that into the budget. When preparing the budget, BPSD prefers to use the budget to budget method as it is more consistent. From the $6.6 million that the government ann­ounced, BPSD will be receiving 64% of it from the province and the remaining 36% is coming from the rate payers.
Bayes explained all of that before going through the 2018/19 budget  that BPSD proposed by object for the crowd in attendance. Here’s what it looks like; 
Salaries - $15,852,000 an increase of $42,000 or 0.3%
Benefits - $1,204,000, an increase of $102,00 or 9.3%
Service - $1,652,000, an increase of $25,000 or 1.5%
Supplies/Equip. - $1,073,000, an increase of $4,000 or 0.4%
Computer Supp­lies/ Equip. - $214,000, an increase of $3,000 or 1.4%
Fiscal & Capital - $499,000, a decrease of $5,000 or 1.0%
These numbers total up to $20,494,000 which at $171,000  is a 0.8% net increase over the 2017/18 budget. It is worth noting that the Special Needs Funding was maintained at the 2016/17 level, as were the Grants for Early Years Enhancement and General Support which are at the moment set at the 2017/18 levels, as they were not given the new figures yet.
When it comes to comparing the 2017/18 the Beautiful Plains School Division budget against the 2018/19 budget, BPSD received $72 less per pupil in provincial funding, but the  increase for the cost per pupil was $66. The Mill Rate is also proposed to be 11.27, which is a decrease from the 11.89 in 2017. For the Proposed School Taxes for the 2018/19 school year, property that was assessed at approximately $200,000 will see a Mill Rate of 11.27 which works out to be a $6.84 or 4.6% decrease for Resi­dential, but an in­crease of 18% or $76.93 for Farm­land and a 9.7% or $61.92 increase for Commercial. 
With the budget that was proposed, the school board will be able to add one more teaching staff member for the growth,  as the beginning of the 2018 school year is projected to have 1873 students. They will also be adding three E.A.’s based on the needs required.
Comments