NEWS‎ > ‎

Joint Councils - Update on the old Public Works shed

posted Jun 4, 2018, 9:50 AM by Kathy Carr   [ updated Jun 4, 2018, 9:53 AM ]
The Joint councils of Carberry and North Cypress Langford met on Monday evening May 28, with Reeve Adriaansen in the chair, and all councillors present except Hockin and Davidson.
Delegations:
There were a number of delegations scheduled, but the first to be ready was Grady Stephenson, who provided an update on the situation created by the condemnation of the old public works shed. The fire department, who are the most disadvantaged by the loss of the building, are suggesting that rather than put up a new shed, a long-range saving would be made by using the present fire hall as the shed, and building a new fire hall immediately to the west of the present hall. He asked for permission to send out a request for proposal to engineering firms to draw up a design and specification for a 72’ x 75’ wood frame, metal clad building with 18’ side walls. Such a design would be acceptable to the Office of the Fire Commissioner. A worst-case cost would be around $400,000, with a chance to reduce that substantially by the department putting in “sweat equity” doing the interior finishing. On the basis of a 10% fee, the engineering cost would be in the neighbourhood of $40,000.
Complicating the issue is the 20,000 gallon reservoir under the old building. This is not in very good shape, and may indeed be leaking, and there is a separate 90,000 gallon reservoir by the new pump, so the OFC will probably not require its replacement. As an example of the demand placed on the reservoirs, the recent fire on Baron Bay used 10,000 gallons.
Only a single bay of the present fire hall would be needed for less used fire equipment, leaving two bays for the relocation of the Handivan.
This would be a considerable increase in cost over a simple shed re­placement, and councils will have to discuss whether it is indeed a cost saving over the long haul. It will be on both agendas for their next meetings.
Stephenson is hoping that if approved, the shell of the building can be up before the snow flies, leaving interior work for the winter months. He is realistic about the likelihood that it will take longer. Engineering firms are at their busiest at the moment, and are unlikely to have a proposal in time for the June council meetings, and on acceptance the drawings will take further time, and until the drawings are ready, the job cannot be tendered. Fall construction is possible, but perhaps optimistic.
On the basis that an RFP is not binding and not costly, Stephenson was approved to go ahead.
The next delegation to be received was that of Gloria Mott and Randy MacDonald on behalf of the Museum Board and the Carberry and Area Community Foundation respectively. The Museum received a bequest of $10,000 from the Criddle estate in 2002, and it has remained on the municipal books waiting to be used ever since. As there is no expectation of a special project that would use the amount, the Museum Board would like to place the amount with the Car­berry and Area Commu­nity Foundation, and receive the interest from it annually. 
They understand that once in the care of the CACF, the principal is no longer available for use.
They were asked if the fund they were setting up at the Community Foun­da­tion would be usable by anyone who wished to leave a bequest to the Mu­seum, and that will probably be an option when the fund is established. They were approved to go ahead with the transfer.
While there, the Mu­se­um Board members gave an update on the work on the Gingerbread House. The small east porch (through which all visitors pass) was getting quite dilapidated. Approval had been granted to do the necessary repairs, and V. Prudnikov was retained to do the work. He has done a fine job of building an authentic replacement and is already priming and painting. Reeve Adria­an­sen thanked Gloria, Randy and the board for all the work they have put into the Museum.
The next delegation was from Eco-West; Joëlle Saltel and Gavin Van der Linde came to present inventory reports on Green House Gases. The Federation of Canadian Municipalities is working to facilitate the many efforts of all governments to reduce Green House Gas (GHG) emissions, and has retained Eco-West to provide this baseline study.
Understandably, in the absence of impossibly detailed statistics, the figures are based on algorithms from what Manitoba Hydro and other sources can supply as gross billings. The figures used came from 2012 and 2015. Some of the allocations between the Town and the Municipality are questionable also; it appeared that McCain’s energy use was billed to both town and NCL.
Regardless, the picture presented was interesting. Buildings represented the greatest energy use, but because much of Manitoba’s electricity is generated by hydro power, the emissions caused are not as great as those of the transportation sector, which burns hydrocarbons directly. The town of Carberry’s use of recycling served to reduce its emissions resulting from waste to less than half the provincial proxy rate. Decomposing landfill is a significant source of GHGs, and reducing waste through recycling and composting helps considerably. The gasification system being developed at Evergreen will also reduce the cost in tonnes of carbon to all municipalities involved. Eco-West is very excited about the development, and is planning to feature it in a presentation to the national convention of the FCM in Halifax. Another program endorsed by Eco-West is an organics waste processing system, to take about a third of the present waste tonnage out of landfill. Organics are the most prolific source of GHGs   as they decompose, and a composting system would redirect them, and reduce landfill fees, levies and odor issues, besides generating a useful (and salable) end product.
The bottom line, as Eco-West were determined to point out, is that in almost all cases, a reduction in GHG emissions is also a reduction in costs. There is every reason to reduce GHGs regardless of the worries about climate change.
FCM is advocating a 6% reduction in per capita emissions across the board — residential, commercial, and industrial — and a 20% reduction in corporate emissions (those that the municipalities have direct control over).
The next GHG inventory will likely be in 2021, the next census year. In the meantime, FCM have announced that funding will be available for projects that will reduce emissions.  So far they have refused very few requests for assistance, whether for feasibility studies or capital projects. They will be sending around surveys to determine what facilities are available at present, and to gauge the intentions of councils about emission reductions. This will take place before the fall elections.
Unfinished Business:
The situation with the building next to the Municipal Office coming up for sale was discussed. NCL has declined to join in the purchase, but the town is seriously considering the idea. Mayor Olmstead pointed out that there is very little space in the present municipal office which is largely due to the pressures of amalgamating the two rural municipalities.  Eventually they will need to expand due the lack of storage and any increase in administration personnel within the office.  Even the Old Town Hall has no capacity for extra storage as all the offices are currently occupied.
The June District Meeting of the AMM in Pierson is coming up, and names were taken of those who would attend and vote. Mayor Olmstead noted that there will be a meeting of the Midwest District in Neepawa the following day, which will allow those who can’t make the 5 hour round trip to at least hear the information, though they will not be able to vote as they are not in their own District.
In response to the suggestion of the Southern Chiefs Association, Swan Lake First Nation representatives have been invited to attend a meeting of the joint councils. They are in our catchment area, and there should be many ways to establish cooperation and mutual benefit. 
General Business:
Simply adding the value of unpaid invoices to taxes hasn’t been all that effective. CAO Jones suggests that admin be allowed to add a 2½% interest surcharge monthly on overdue unpaid accounts. A resolution to that effect will be presented at the next meeting of each council.
On the day of the Firemens’ Breakfast, there will be a Household Ha­zardous Waste Day, and councillors are needed to man the collection point. CAO Jones was looking for four volunteers, and got pledges from both Andersons, Campbell, and likely from Hockin.
The Tourism Westman Gala, to be held on June 13 in Gladstone, has a number of local initiatives and individuals nominated for awards. To ensure a local presence, CAO Jones and CDC Zander were approved to attend at a cost of $40 each plus GST, to be shared 50/50 be­tween the Town and NCL for the joint employees.
The Federation of Canadian Municipalities requests a voluntary contribution to their Special Advocacy Fund which was declined by Council.
Sandhills Golf & Country Club requests sponsorship of an on-course sign at the cost of $150. It was pointed out by the Reeve that the club already receives considerably greater financial support each year from the councils, but the opportunity to place a visible sign was accepted. The cost will be shared 50/50 between the two councils.
There is a sizeable subscription fee for the copies of Municipal World that arrive each month. Councillors were asked whether they wished to continue to receive the magazine. All declined.
CN has sent their annual report; it is available to view at the Municipal Office.
 The AMM Employee Benefit Program (health and dental) has some additional options added to it.  The CAO will bring back information to each councils.
There will be a training session called “Be Ready for Cannabis Legislation” on June 26  in Brandon, and two members of the office staff were approved to attend at a cost of $249 (for AMM members) plus mileage.
Also, on June 22 in Brandon, there will be a Municipal Elections Seminar given by the MMAA, at a cost of $249 (for AMM members). CAO Jones was approved to attend, and the cost of both events is to be shared 50/50 between North Cypress Langford and the Town of Carberry.
To tidy up details of the Tax Sale process, it will be necessary to place a reserve bid on properties for sale that will cover all costs the municipalities need to recover. There are two ways of doing this; stating it generically, or spelling out the particular roll number and name associated with the property. After some discussion, Jones will come before each council with the more generic version of the resolution.
The CAO asked for guidance about the Staff Appreciation Barbecue. She was encouraged to pick a Tuesday or a Thursday in July after consultation with the staff for whom it is to be given.
Lastly, it is already time to be considering the Staff Christmas Party. It will have to be held in the Hall, and it is none too early to be looking for a caterer for the event. The Hall has been tentatively booked for December 7 or 8, and of these, there is a preference for Friday the 7th. Tentatively it would be cocktails at 6:00, dinner at 7:00 and awards/presentations at 8:00 p.m.
Committee Reports:
The CAO reports that with the budgets off to the province, and the auditors working on 2016 and 17 and nearly up-to-date things are easing up a bit. With ACAO Fraser and FO McConnell she went to the MMAA convention and brought back a lot of useful and inspiring information. Tax notices will be here soon, and Teresa Fiskel has taken on the task of learning the water billing for NCL.
The ACAO echoed the CAO about the value and effectiveness of the MMAA Convention. She picked up a lot of useful information on Asset Management and the Gas Tax Program. Her studies with U of M are exciting, and she’s looking for a graduation in February 2019.
The Financial Officer also took away some detailed and relevant information and approaches from the MMAA Convention. The budget is ready and incorporated into the income and expense spreadsheets. Tax notices have been ordered and will be along shortly, when they will keep everyone busy for a while.
The Archivist attended the RNMA meeting in Altona. Her term as secretary for them is now over. Donations have been re­ceived, and search re­quests are at a usual level.
The Arts Council has been partnering several events, including a seminar on Container Planting, a bracelet workshop with the R.J. Waugh Parent Advisory Council, and a youth drama presented in the Hall. There will be an unveiling of the Canada 150 Mosaic Mural on the Thursday, July 5th before the Fair.  More details on the event will be publicized closer to the date.
The CDC reports that she and the Seniors’ coordinator have toured the Daughters on Call House in Brandon and were impressed with its quality and service. If such a facility could be set up in Carberry it would be a great asset.
The video is done, and is visible on the Town/NCL Facebook page.
For the Tourism Westman Awards Gala, she nominated the Friends of Camp Hughes Heritage Day for Event of the Year, the Potato Truck Pull for Marketing Excellence, Shay Sandy for Aspiring Youth, and Muriel McPhail for Volunteer of the Year.
The Town-Wide Yard Sale will be held on June 16, along with the Firemen’s Breakfast.
The Health Action Committee has been reworking the return of Service agreement for the Health Care Scholarship. They have helped a local LPN student this year.
The CDC, the CAO and Teresa Fiskel will be serving as assistant SEOs for this year’s election.
The What’s the Big Idea promotion that was originally done with Neepawa and Minnedosa will now divide off and be done with Glenboro. They are looking forward to working together.
Evergreen Enviro­n­mental reports that they are costing a replacement for their Quonset hut. They are doing a health and safety review with an outside contractor, which has led to some changes in equipment and procedures; new cut-proof gloves, and a truck or side-by-side for onsite use. They have to frame an asbestos policy; there should be a guarantee that no asbestos is present in loads, and a procedure for bringing asbestos into the facility. Prices for recycle materials have dropped significantly, so revenue will be reduced.
The Fire Department reports that in the past month (from April 19 to May 23) they have responded to 2 structure fires, a vehicle fire, an agricultural fire involving a cattle lean-to and some fence line, and most seriously a fire along the CN mainline between Gregg and Firdale. This required a Cat to access and contain the fire, and nearly a mile of hose borrowed from OFC and MB Sustainable Development to extinguish about a hundred piles of ties. The cleanup required a full cleaning of the hoses.
Two members have passed their Level 2 firefighting, and three more were tested on the weekend of May 26 & 27.
The Museum Board reports a successful fundraiser with the group “Lucky Ned” at the Legion. About $1000 was cleared. Lots of work has been done on the displays, so come opening day — June 16, along with the Firemen’s Breakfast and the Town-Wide Yard Sale — everyone should come and have a look at the new displays. Westman Cable will provide the Museum with an internet connection for three months, which will help the staff with their research. They have two jobs available; the larger one is filled, and they are hoping for an applicant from Grady’s ad for the lesser.
The $10,000 from the Criddles will be put into a fund in the CACF to bear annual interest for the Museum’s upkeep.
The old porch has been torn off the Gingerbread House, and has been rebuilt.
Parks, Facilities & Sa­ni­tation Manager Ste­phen­son reports that lacrosse has been successfully scheduled for the Tues­days until the end of June. The 55+ games will bring as many as 100 athletes for a range of sports from June 12 to 14. There will also be use of the campground.
Work continues on the old town hall, and design and costing are being done for a remedy for the condemnation of the former public works building. Renovation quotes for the ballpark and campground are higher than expected.
Summer students are needed for four positions in the parks department. The Art Sear Park is being worked on as time allows. The Ball Park is very busy, and getting some minor repairs. The shed at the Daylily Garden is in need of replacement, and an anonymous donor will pay for it.
The fire department will be called in to attend the burning at the two transfer stations when the fire ban is lifted. Well­wood is to receive a second recycling bin; the first over-fills weekly.
At the cemetery, prep work is being done for planting, quotes being sought for further paving, and perpetual care lists are being updated.
The Recreation Pro­gra­m­mer reports on a wide range of initiatives; there have been successful work­shops, and plans afoot for many different classes. Social media have been used to gain exposure and engagement, and are keeping up a daily upgrade schedule. The day camp has received a grant from the CACF, and in addition some funds from Carberry Collegiate’s Youth in Phi­l­an­thropy program. The YiP students held a fun­draising barbecue re­cently and directed some of their proceeds to the day camp.
Communications:
The AMM Western Dis­trict will be holding a golf tournament in Deloraine on July 12, and invites members to attend.  Mayor Olmstead spoke of the benefits of attending and networking with other communities at this event.
An organization called Courageous Companions, which trains service dogs as support for First Re­sponders and Servicemen suffering from PTSD, asked for support in the form of an advertisement in their magazine.
Around the Table:
Mayor Olmstead wanted to thank the first responders for their prompt and effective work at the recent fire in Baron Bay. The fact that only one building caught, and there were no injuries is a great tribute to their efforts and professionalism, especially when Brandon has just seen how fire can spread in dry windy conditions. He was quite concerned by several citizens that did not respect the barricades set up to keep people away from the dangers of the scene, which meant firefighters had to attend to both the crowd as well as the ongoing fire.  
When first responders are on the scene of an incident, it is best to stay away, regardless of your curiosity and let them do their job without extra distractions.
Grady Stephenson, who was present for an earlier delegation, added that as a firefighter he wished to thank councils for their support in the form of properly working gear. The new truck, for example, was an important asset for fighting the fire. The department is glad to be of service to their neighbours, but it’s especially rewarding when they are properly equipped to do the work.
Councillor Drayson reported that he had attended the Neepawa Fair parade with the Municipal float, and thought it had been a good event at which to be present.
The meeting ad­journed at 8:55. Next meeting of the Council of North Cypress Langford will be June 11; next Town Council meeting will be June 12.

by John McNeily
Comments